Used cocaine by nasal insufflation about 1gm daily. What are the sticky and viscous chunks found in mucus?

Psychiatrist
Question
I used cocaine by nasal insufflation about 1gram daily for 9 months and stopped for a month and a half. I started using again since a month and a half ago 1-1.5grams daily. I get these sticky and viscous chunks with my mucus and dried chunks of crust that sticks to my nasal membrane. My questions are:
1. What are these sticky and viscous chunks? Are they nasal tissue lining that's peeling?
2. Are these crusts also nasal tissues?
3. Can I pick my nose with my fingers to remove these chunks and crusts or will it cause further damage?
I use saline nasal spray, will it clean and remove the residues of cocaine that's trapped inside my nose?
4. Will the crusting go away if I stop using cocaine?
5. I have nasal pain on both sides of my nose bridge, what does this mean?
6. I never get dental plaques before, but since cocaine use I get them, what causes this and how to prevent it? Will it cause gingivitis?
7. After snorting cocaine, sometimes the cocaine goes down my throat, will that damage the throat?
8. Cocaine used to make me feel energetic and confident but since a year its effects on me are just numbing to escape from reality and not wanting to talk and social isolation and can just sit the whole day browsing the internet, and haven't been eating. why is this?
I really want to stop, I have noticed a cognitive decline and forgetfulness, if I stop will I regain or restore my cognitive function? I have been taking Nozinan and Rivotril at night for my insomnia and since a month ago, was prescribed Prozac. Is it safe to take Prozac when taking Cocaine? Are there any Vitamins or Supplements you would recommend I should take to restore brain function and to prevent withrawal when I stop? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

2. Are these crusts also nasal tissues?
3. Can I pick my nose with my fingers to remove these chunks and crusts or will it cause further damage? I use saline nasal spray, will it clean and remove the residues of cocaine that's trapped inside my nose?

ANSWER: These crust develop due to damage to nasal mucosa and wall. Long term cocaine use lead to both sides of my nose bridge, what does this mean?
ANSWER: It is due to damage of nasal bridge and septum.

ANSWER: It occur due to reduce oral hygiene and irritation from cocaine. It can lead to gingivitis due to infection and irritation. For treatment stop cocaine use, visit dentist for cleaning and brush teeth 2 times a day.

ANSWER: Yes, similar way it damages nasal mucosa.

ANSWER: On prolong use of cocaine tolerance develop, mean you require progressively higher doses to feel high(energetic and confident) while you keep on experiencing other symptoms on that dose..

I really want to stop, I have noticed a cognitive decline and forgetfulness, if I stop will I regain or restore my cognitive function? I have been taking Nozinan and Rivotril at night for my insomnia and since a month ago, was prescribed Prozac. Is it safe to take Prozac when taking Cocaine? Are there any Vitamins or Supplements you would recommend I should take to restore brain function and to prevent withrawal when I stop?

ANSWER: After stoppage there is definite improvement in cognition and memory. Prozac is used for anxiety/depression and you can take it even with cocaine. For vitamins you can take: milk, milk with protinex, Revital capsule and fruit juice.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Used cocaine by nasal insufflation about 1gm daily. What are the sticky and viscous chunks found in mucus? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer Dr. Mittal. I have more questions to your answers:
1. ANSWER: These crust develop due to damage to nasal mucosa and wall. Long term cocaine use lead to nose. There is harm in cocaine use, but not with removing crust. Saline nasal spray will help only partially to prevent damage.
QUESTION: So these crusts are not dried mucus or dried mucus with cocaine residue? What does it mean damaged nasal mucosa? Do you mean these crusts are scabs of injured or torn nasal tissue lining? Can this be reversed? I do not understand what you mean "but not with removing crust". Do you mean it is safe to remove the crust inside my nose by nose picking or will it irritate the mucous membrane? What are the early signs and symptoms of damaged nasal mucosa and septum perforation? Can I prevent this or will my nose heal if I stop cocaine? I read that months after stopping cocaine, they notice a damage or perforation, does it mean damage will still progress even if I stop cocaine?

2. ANSWER: It is due to damage of nasal bridge and septum
QUESTION: What are the consequence of damage of nasal bridge and septum? If I stop cocaine, will the damage be repaired or reversed and heal by itself? How do I stop the process of further damage of nasal bridge and septum?

3. ANSWER: After stoppage there is definite improvement in cognition and memory. Prozac is used for anxiety/depression and you can take it even with cocaine. For vitamins you can take: milk, milk with protinex, Revital capsule and fruit juice.
QUESTION: How soon to see improvement in cognition after stopping cocaine ? Does cocaine really impair cognitive function? And if I stop can the impairment be completely reversed or restored?

4. I have been on Prozac for almost a month but I still feel depressed. I read it is supposed to also help with social anxiety but I still isolate myself.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 16 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

QUESTION: So these crusts are not dried mucus or dried mucus with cocaine residue? What does it mean damaged nasal mucosa? Do you mean these crusts are scabs of injured or torn nasal tissue lining? Can this be reversed? I do not understand what you mean "but not with removing crust". Do you mean it is safe to remove the crust inside my nose by nose picking or will it irritate the mucous membrane? What are the early signs and symptoms of damaged nasal mucosa and septum perforation? Can I prevent this or will my nose heal if I stop cocaine? I read that months after stopping cocaine, they notice a damage or perforation, does it mean damage will still progress even if I stop cocaine?
QUESTION: What are the consequence of damage of nasal bridge and septum? If I stop cocaine, will the damage be repaired or reversed and heal by itself? How do I stop the process of further damage of nasal bridge and septum?

ANSWER: Cocaine cause damage to mucosa and nasal septum. Crusts are form with dead tissue and mucous. Earliest sign of damaged mucosa is crust formation. There is no harm if you remove crust as it is already damaged tissue. Once nasal septum is damaged it do not repaired on its own even after stoppage of cocaine, so it is better prevent damage by stopping cocaine use. Sometime nasal perforation occur after stoppage of cocaine due to delayed wear off of already damaged nasal tissue due to cocaine use.

QUESTION: How soon to see improvement in cognition after stopping cocaine ? Does cocaine really impair cognitive function? And if I stop can the impairment be completely reversed or restored?

ANSWER: Improvement occur within 1-2 month after stoppage of cocaine. Yes, cocaine impair cognitive function in long term use. After stoppage cognitive impairment reversed but extent of improvement differ person to person and can not be predicted.

ANSWER: In your case one of the reason for depression/anxiety is cocaine. So, prozac will not work well, till cocaine use is present. Yes, prozac also help in social anxiety.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.
Regards.