Used a nedi pot without boiling the water. Should I seek medical attention for brain amoeba?

Question
Used a nedi pot without boiling the water... wasn't aware that it NEEDED to be boiled but now im told about this brain amoeba and it's got me a little freaked out. Should I seek medical attention?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

I can understand your concern for encephalitis caused by brain amoeba (Naegleria fowleri). Luckily this is found in typically found in warm bodies of fresh water, such as ponds, lakes, rivers, hot XXXXXXX near warm-water discharges of industrial plants, and unchlorinated swimming pools in an amoeboid or temporary flagellate stage. It is very rarely found in tap water.

Onset symptoms of infection start 1 to 14 days after exposure and initial symptoms include changes in taste and smell, headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, and stiff neck. It is recommended to use boiled or distilled water in netipots and I can definitely understand your concern. But rest assured as this disease is very very rare.

A spinal tap can be done to examine the spinal fluid. Infection is diagnosed by seeing the amoeba under the microscope. We can also use polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technology to detect amoebic DNA in spinal fluid but spinal tap is an invasive procedure and should be done only when diagnosis is suspected.

The treatment of choice is amphotericin B, which is an intravenous drug usually used for fungal infections. This drug is given only when the diagnosis is confirmed. So to alleviate any doubts, you can get an evaluation done from a physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Used a nedi pot without boiling the water. Should I seek medical attention for brain amoeba? 17 hours later
Being that I live in Ohio and it's winter time here (low 30's) in your opinion should I not worry about this?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 hours later

I understand what you say. Since you live in Ohio and the climate is pretty cold, it is very less likely for brain amoeba to flourish as it needs warm water and hot XXXXXXX to flourish. Relax, the chances are very less and to alleviate any doubts you can get it evaluated from a physician.

Regards.