Used Afrin nasal spray, having burning sensation in nostril spreading to eye. How to get relief?

Oncologist, Surgical
I used Afrin nasal spray a couple of hours ago. Since then I've been suffering a burning sensation in my left nostril that has spread to my left eye. How can I relieve this annoyance so I can sleep? I've tried water, saline gel and ice.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Afrin contains oxymetazoline and some people do have such a response to that compound. First of all, you should stop using it. It is better to take steam for decongestion than this spray. This spray, if used for prolonged duration can lead to rebound congestion.
To relieve the burning which you are having at present, you should try steam inhalation. For the congestion in the eyes, try some lubricant drops (available at any pharmacy) 2-3 times a day.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.