Use of stents in cardiology, anticoagulant medications, had stress test, carotid ultrasound

I just had a series of tests: Stress Test; Cardiac ultrasound; peripheral circulation, camera (as follow up to the stress test); carotid ultrasound. ALL showed as OK, BUT there was one glitch on the stress test. My cardiologist wants an angiogram. That part is OK, but I want to be sure that a stent does not follow, just because I am already on the table. I know stents are over used. I would want to know if there is a way to have someone else read the lab results to let me know if I should be concerned.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query,

I tend to disagree that stents are over used in the practice of cardiology. The use of stents has revolutionized the way we treat cardiovascular disease. If you trust your cardiologist and believe in his competency he should only treat you with such an intervention if it is truly indicated.

Stents have to be monitored closely with use of anticoagulant medications so your concern is certainly understandable. If there are some copies of test results you'd like me to review I would be happy to do so on your behalf. These can be sent to my attention at YYYY@YYYY .

Regarding stents, if they are truly indicated they can really improve quality and duration of life which is why I am hopeful that your cardiologist would use it only if indicated.

I hope this answer serves to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional followup questions I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga