Use multivitamins when stressed and depressed. Why is my face red and hot? Am I also diabetic?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
last year i have used multivitmins mineral when i feel strss ,dpressed and confused.i feel in stress my face red ,ears red and hot so i decided to go doctor,my doctor saw my exm of blood ,he told ,i am daietes ,I HAVE 160 u/L blood sugar meal after 2 hour.What you say i am daibetes or stress
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
Normal blood sugar level after 2 hours of the meal should be less than 145 mg/dL. The levels should be above 200 mg/dL ( or more than 11.1 mmol/L) to make a diagnosis of diabetes. However, I would like to reconfirm the units that you have specified. Is it u/L or mg/dL or mmol/L? This will put me in the best position to confirm the situation.
Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Use multivitamins when stressed and depressed. Why is my face red and hot? Am I also diabetic? 21 hours later
p-glucosio 165 mg/dl

Hi Iqubal,

A two hrs postprandial blood sugar in the range of 145 mg/dl to 200 mg/dl will come under pre-diabetic category means there is a chance to having diabetes.
As you pointed out hyperglycaemia can also occur due to stress.
So, now to confirm your diabetic status you have to go for oral glucose tolerance test, which is the screening test for diabetes. In which fasting and 2hrs after taking 75 gms of glucose blood sugar levels will be estimated after ingestion of
If your fasting value comes above 126 mg/dl and 2 hrs values above 200 mg/dl, it is confirmatory of having diabetes.
Though you are not having family history possibility of diabetes cannot be ruled out.
One more thing you are suffering from is depression which can lead to diabetes by affecting dietary habits and life style. Diabetes can also lead to depression.
So, for this you have to rectify your diabetic status, start dietary changes or medicines if needed according to your doctor's advice, you can go for behavioural therapy which will treat your depression and increase the ability of social interaction.
Wish you Good Health; if you are satisfied with my response please accept it.

Follow-up: Use multivitamins when stressed and depressed. Why is my face red and hot? Am I also diabetic? 14 hours later
mg/dl

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later
Hi Iqubal,

Thanks again.

It seems you haven't posted a complete query this time.

If you meant the sugar measurement was in mg/dl, then my earlier reply answers it.

"mg/dl" is the unit used to measure the blood sugar level in the body.

Let me know if you had something else in your mind. I will be glad to assist you. And if all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you Good Health