Use meth before blood test. Results showed PSA higher. Biopsy ruled out cancer. Meth affect PSA level and cause enlarged prostate?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I am 58, 5'9, 185 lbs, physically active with no chronic health problems. I use meth regularly and took some (nasally) a few days before I had a blood test for PSA. The results found my PSA level was 5 points higher than it was a year before (from 4 to 9). A subsequent biopsy ruled out cancer and I have been dx with BPE. Can meth effect PSA level and/or cause an enlarged prostate?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is possible.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

Although in my personal experience, I have not come across any meth users who had prostate related problems, your question reminded me of a research paper published last month in the Journal of Urology, which is the official journal of the American Urological Association.

The authors studied prostate related lower results with people who did use meth. Surprisingly, they found that 77% of meth abusers had prostate related symptoms as compared to only 15% of non-meth users, which is indeed a highly significant result. The authors suggested that doctors often do not recognize this association, obviously because it is not yet well-known and well-understood. I also tend to agree and shall henceforth assess all my patients with meth related problems for prostatic issues as well. If you are interested, you can read the article titled "Prevalence and Management of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Methamphetamine Abusers:An Under-Recognized Clinical Identity" published ahead of print in the Journal of Urology on August 19th, 2013.

It is not yet known how exactly meth affects the prostate but I am hoping that researchers will look at the issue in detail and maybe we will have a few answers in the near future.

Hope this answers your query. Please feel free to ask if you want any clarifications. I shall try to answer to the best of my capability and knowledge.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry