Urologist looked inside bladder and said it has radiation burns and started bleeding. What to do?

Recently my urologist looked inside my bladder and said it has radiation burns, Now it has started to bleed, what should I do in middle of night?
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 22 hours later
There is not much you can do as an individual if indeed the radiation changes in bladder have started to bleed. Try and get to your urologist or the emergency room as early as possible. The risk is in what we term 'clot retention' when the blood forms clots in the bladder and blocks the natural passage of urine, when you might have to be catheterized, and have irrigation run into your bladder, and maybe even a cystoscopy again to try and see if the bleeders can be coagulated.
If you have intermittent bleed which is minimal, do improve your fluid intake. Frequent passage of urine will prevent major clot formation. There are drugs which might lesses severity of radiation induced bladder bleed, but you will need the prescription of a urologist for the same.
Hope I have been of help.