Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine with bad odor, blood in urine. On treatment for bacterial vaginosis. Should I change my diet?

For many months now my urine has had a bad odor. Sometime it smells like black pepper a bit and sometimes almost like cat urine. I am 41, have been treated for bacterial vaginosis and chronically have microscopic blood in my urine but everything else checks out fine. I don't know if I should change my diet, see the gyn or urologist.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 23 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Bad odour and blood in the urine are varied signs of chronic UTI mostly. Only a sample and culture would confirm that. Also scans of the abdomen. There are many harms of not treating it adequately.

You should seek medical help. You might need a lot of prescriptions like antibiotics after test results come in.

Other possibilities include lesions in the kidney as well, either case a review is a must.

Diet alone will not help. A urologist is better.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.