Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine turns dark brown in color on eating chocolates. Cause?

I've noticed a recent change in my Urine. When every I eat chocolate ( for instance a candy bar or a hand full of Chocolate Chips ) my Urine turns a dark brown color. Again this began happening only in the last few months.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 44 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
This may be due to coloring agents used in chocolates or warfarin induced bleed in the urinary tract.
To check, try using chocolate of other brands too see if the same persists.
If still persistent, you need to consult a urologist to check your urinary tract for infection/stones/tumor that could trigger a bleed especially in the presence of warfarin.
You may need to do urine analysis and ultrasound/CT of the urinary tract.
Best regards