Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine tests showed blood in urine. Have stomach pain and back pain. What is underlying cause?

General Surgeon
Urine tests show blood in urine - last two tests. Awaiting CT. Not UTI. Have pain in stomach and back pain on regular basic.
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. CT is not a good idea if its about urinary tract diseases diagnostic. You may find it completely useless. Its because blood in urine is quite often caused by kidney stones. It usually gives sudden back pain, lower abdominal pain radiating to the groin. The pain can come and go. IT can appear after physical activity or car driving for example. Stones give symptoms when migrate through urete.r. And usually such stone is invisible for ultrasound or even CT. However sometimes, blood in the urine is the first symptom of urinary bladder cancer. That is why, your next step should be urologist consult and cystoscopy. Blood in urine (especially when protein is also present) can be caused by glomerulonephritis. This condition needs kidney biopsy to be diagnosed. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Urine tests showed blood in urine. Have stomach pain and back pain. What is underlying cause? 45 hours later
I have been told I do not have a UTI. They suspect the kidney and have ordered a CT. However, I also have a irritating cough - constant - that is hard to clear my throat at times and it is always there. The weakness and pain in my stomach is usually when I get up and eases off when I lie down. Could the GERD and cough and hernia have anything to do with this latest issue or could it be the kidneys or bladder?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Cough rather does not affect urinary tract so it is something else. However cough makes hernia worse (you XXXXXXX mentioned about hernia before). Its quite characteristic for hernia to give more pain when standing, lifting heavy objects or coughing. GERD and cough usually means asthma. Both asthma and GERD usually are present together. But neither asthma or GERD can not cause blood in urine. Hope this will help. Regards.