Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test shows small trace of blood and protein, no infection. Meaning?

Urine test - small trace of blood and protein .?
No infection detected
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 31 minutes later

Thanks for the query

This outcome can occur with as simple as stress, stone disease to serious issues like tumor or kidney disease.

To interpret test findings we should have some clinical history.

- Do you have visible blood in urine?
- Is there any difficulty in passing urine, or burning sensation?
- Do you have history of kidney stones / is there any swelling in legs?
- Are you a diabetic or hypertensive person?
- Why did you go for the urine test - routine screening or any specific symptom?

Small trace of blood can come from urinary tract infection , urological malignancies, stone disease and from the kidneys. Are there many RBCs in the urine? It would be helpful if you can upload the detailed urine report, especially to see RBC, WBC and protein on this page using the site's uploader.

In case there is trace protein in urine the amount can be confirmed by urine microalbuminuria.

And lastly ulltrasound KUB has a major role in narrowing down the possibilities. If needed, please consider this test.

Kindly provide as much information mentioned above, so that I can give you useful opinion.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Urine test shows small trace of blood and protein, no infection. Meaning? 3 hours later
Hi Dr Bansal,

No the blood is not visible
I have had serveral urinary infections and this is not what I have this time.
No swelling in the legs and no kidney trouble.
I am type 2 diabetic
My stress levels are very high
I had pain in my lower stomach which i thought could be bladder infection that is why i had the urine test. I have had the same results before on my urine test , they always say small traces of blood and protein.

thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 17 minutes later

If there is no WBC in urine (<5/HPF) this indicates there is no infection. and thus the pain is not due to urine infection

The blood in urine can be reported as- Blood present or RBC/HPF. If RBC in urine are more than 5 /HPF in microscopy on repeated reports there has to be a reason for it. and needs investigation. Blood if the report say just blood present but NO RBC in the urine then it is not of much importance. trace protein again is again not significant. You have to test urine microalbumin , if it is high then only we can conclude abnormally high proteinuria in your case.

I would conclude by saying let your doctor examine you and decide the cause of your abdominal pain, avoid constipation, test urine for malignent cells, and get an ultrasound of abdomin if pain persists.

best wishes.