Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test shows crystal deposits in kidneys, early signs of BPH. What do you advise?

Hi My urine culure report shows ++++ for Ciprofloxacin, Norfloxacin ,Cefotaxime and
Urine Culture & Sensitivity Result:
Growth of
Colony Count:
Antibiotic Sensitivity
>100,000 cfu/mL
I am 53 years old, Male and had no earlier history of urinary infection.
Also I did an Ultrasound scan and the report says"Prostate(TRUS) is mildly enlarged in size, however has defined margins of its lobes. It
measures 3.2 x 4.3 x 3.5 em in dimensions. There is focal hypertrophy of the median lobe
with no indentation of the XXXXXXX urinary meatus. No focal nodule or coarse
calcifications are seen along the lobes.
IMPRESSION: Ultrasound study shows no obstructive uropathy or formed calculi in the
renal tracts, however crystal deposits are observed in both kidneys, more so along the left
side. T re are signs of early BPH observed. Rests of the abdominal organs are normal."
A PSA test was also done and the count is 5.2

What do you advice on the above?

Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 30 minutes later

I have read through the reports. And as per the report you are having urine infection. The drugs can be effective and can help you to cure this infection. Discuss with your primary physician who can prescribe you one of mentioned antibiotic.

Urine culture is a very useful test and it guides the treating doctor about the choice to drug to be made.

Your ultrasound reports seems fine and appropriate to your age. There is some increase in size of prostate and that is obvious and natural. PSA is in borderline range. Any infection can increase it to this extent. So there is no need for concern at this stage. Your doctor may ask for repeat PSA during your follow ups.

There is remark of having crystals in both the kidneys so you might have formation of stone in future. Normally this crystals stick together and form a stone.

Currently you should be fine with the drugs given to you.

Take medicines as advised and please for repeat urine routine examination to check whether the infection is eradicated or not.

I hope this answers your query,I will be glad to answer any follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Urine test shows crystal deposits in kidneys, early signs of BPH. What do you advise? 23 hours later
Thank you very much Doctor for your advice.
I read somewhere that the PSA count can show high due to any sex activity within 24 hours. Is this true? Also I have this habit of occasional dream ejaculation.. Will it lead to any of the coditions mentioened above? Apart from what I have mentioned, I have very itchy testicles and I was applying some steroid skin oinment as per doctor's advice. The use of this skin cream has any effect on the present infection?
I will be very glad if you could throw some light on the above also.
warm regards
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 14 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

I must appreciate your knowledge on the subject,patients like you makes job of physicians like us much easier.

Yes,you are right PSA (Prostate-specific antigen)can be reason for recent sexual activity.As I have written earlier at present your PSA levels are on borderline,not grossly elevated.In my opinion at present nothing much needs to be done.Same applies to dream ejaculation.

As far as itching in testicles are concerned,you can use the cream as advised by your doctor.Normally minimal drug can be absorbed through skin,if it is used for long time.

Short course is fine,please refrain from applying after a specified period.

Maintain good local hygiene,avoid tight fitting clothes,wear more of cotton underwear,this will help you to relieve itching .

I hope this helps.