Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test showed protein trace, presence of bacteria and epithelial cells. Any suggestion?

My mom was asked to undergo urine test, as she had arthritis symptoms. Urine test came out as protein trace, Ph 5.0 (acidic), numeous epithelial cells and presence of bacteria. As I checked with an endocrinologist through XXXXXXX he suggested to have urine culture to avoid any kidney stone or other ailments.

In the urine culture, it has come out as

- No growth in culture after 48 hr of incubation
- No pus cells, occasional epithelial cells and no microorganism seen

What to concur from 'numerous' epithelial cells in urinalysis and 'occasional' epithelial cells in urine culture. What is the future course of action and what shall be the outcome if left unattended?
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 26 minutes later
The findings in urine in form of small proteins, bacteria and epithelial cells in connection with sterile culture report indicates that the patient is not having a received antibiotics during the previous 4weeks and the findings are due to contamination of the sample from surrounding area.
She prediabetic so measures to control the Blood sugar levels should be taken.
There is no issues about the urine to be managed right now still if she gets any symptoms then you may repeat the investigations.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Urine test showed protein trace, presence of bacteria and epithelial cells. Any suggestion? 1 hour later
How about the epithelial cells being repeatedly present: in both the tests? Even the urinalysis reported urine to be cloudy and straw yellow. What's on these?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 21 hours later
welcome to XXXXXXX
Epithelial cells denote an inflammation in urinary tract, they can be due to UTI, stone, gravel etc or a normal variant as seems the case.
Follow up it with urine culture and routine test.
I hope that answers your query.