Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test showed presence of blood and leukocytes. How serious is this condition?

General Surgeon
I had a physical about a month ago and everything was fine. my urine did show some blood however that day i was due to start my period. my doctor said its very common for blood to be seen in urine even before you start to bleed. When i got home i was bleeding lightly so i figured that the blood was from that, He still wanted to re-test so i went in this week ( to late by accident) he tested my pee and it showed i had blood, i felt like a fool because i waited to long and my period had started when i got home, it also showed leukocytes the second time. he figured a uti however my urine culture didnt grow any bacteria, i just got the call and i can also stop my antibiotic.

could the blood really be from bad timing? and what were the leukocytes from?? im a little nervous, i am having another urine test mid-cycle and if i show blood again i have to go see a urologist. maybe it was from my period?? maybe i am ok. I bought my own pee strips so once my period is gone ill be testing myself every day til my doc. Also if I had leukocytes ( WBC) which mean infection why would he have me stop my antibiotic????I'm a little nervous.. I have no symptoms what so ever, I was shocked when they thought I had a uti because I feel fine. Any suggestions??
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
UTI is not a major problem.
Leucocytes are white blood cells which are elevated in any infection in the body.
Routinely,urine will be sent for culture of microorganism and the sensitivity to any antibiotic.
Your culture was negative for any organism.So, antibiotic sensitivity has not been given.
Do not worry .
But,you can take antibiotic like Norfloxacin.
Drink plenty of water.
Apart from urine test,get an Ultrasound abdomen.
If you back with reports,I will clarify further.
Wish you good health
Follow-up: Urine test showed presence of blood and leukocytes. How serious is this condition? 5 hours later
I'm aware that a uti is not something very serious. However I know the blood and leukocytes can be. As I stated I was starting my period and did not know it while I took the urine tests, have you heard of blood being in urine a few days before a women starts her cycle? Is that common? And since I was positive for leukocytes I figured I would have stayed on the antibiotic since I'm showing infection somewhere but not with a uti?
There is no relationship between menstrual cycle and blood in urine.Blood in urine can come on any day of menstrual cycle.
If leukocytes are more in number,it is suggestive of infection somewhere in the body.
So,you better start with a good broad spectrum antibiotic .
But,if the infection is severe,you will have fever.If fever is not present,then it could be mild one.
Any how,get an Ultrasound abdomen .
Wish you good health