Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test showed infection. Prescribed antibiotics. Feeling tingling sensation in penis. What should I do?

I'd posted this question last time. since I don't know how to re-open the case, I'm copying the content here. My question, what type of specialist that would be if I want to see a specialist to discuss my case and condition? Urologist ..? Is that the right one? thanks !

I need advice please. A month ago I had protected sex with prostitute and she also give me oral pleasure, which was unprotected. I�ve done blood tests including HIV, STD, they were normal, however Urine test came with infection so I was prescribed with 7 days of antibiotics course, which I�ve completed almost a week ago, however I am feeling tingling sensation in my penis, actually tip of the penis. This tingling is almost constants, every few minutes or hrs continued. My doctor thinks there is nothing to worry about because I have no ulcers or sores, no liquid coming out, and nothing visible on penis, just this tingling sensation. I still feel that I might have infection in my body otherwise why should I feel tingling sensation continued? What should I do ? what should I tell my GP so that she is convinced with my complaint? Any tests should I tell her to do further? Any hint for me please? Any suggestions? Thanks !
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 35 minutes later
Good day and thank you for being healthcare magic.

The best specialty to consult regarding your condition and symptoms would be a Urologist or an Infectious disease specialist. A urologist will be my first choice so he can properly do a complete physical examination and examine your penis for any lesions that the GP may have missed.

There are alot of tests that could be done to check for other STDS:

1. HIV - I am glad to hear that your tests for HIV Came out negative but i would suggest repeating the test after 3-6 months to confirm the negative results because sometimes it may not be detected due to low levels of the virus in the blood.

2. RPR and VDRL - this also from the blood to check for syphilis.

3. Chlamydia - this is the most common STD worldwide and usually causes mild symptoms. A urine or a blood exam for chlamydia is widely available.

4. HSV - herpes type I and type II can cause ulcers in the penis or genital area. A blood exam to test for HPV is also widely available.

5. HPV - human papilloma virus causes genital warts and common warts and may lead to penile and cervical cancer in females. A blood examination is also available to test for HPV.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: WWW.WWWW.WW I would gladly help you. Best wishes.