Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test showed high WBC count, high creatinine. What does this indicate? Could it be dehydration?

I am 49 years old, femal 5"2 145 lbs. I have been tested with a one time urine test and have a protein level of 54, microalbumin of 12.8, leukocyte screen positive, white blood cells too numerous to count, red blood cells 8, high specific gravity of 1.035 creatinine of 234.8 and a protein creatinine ratio of .23. what does this indicate? could it be dehydration, semen in my urine test, or does it indicate kidney disease. i am not a high risk, and am negative for continine and glucose.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

With respect, a random dipstick urinalysis like this tells you nothing at all. You may have a UTI) like cystitis and then again of course you may not have.

If you care to revert here again and tell me exactly what symptoms, if any, that you have, then I will be in a much better position to help. Forget about test results. What is it exactly that is worrying you?

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Follow-up: Urine test showed high WBC count, high creatinine. What does this indicate? Could it be dehydration? 1 hour later
i have had some low back pain, but don't know if it is muscle or kidney related. the high protein level in the urine, according to the test paper, indicates the risk for kidney disease. now that i have read that, i am kind of panicking, because i have struggled to get my liver enzymes (due to cirrhosis) to a normal level, which they are. so instead of getting a slam dunk insurance exam, now i see the abnormal levels in association with my kidneys. so, of course, i am paranoid that i am in kdiney failure, etc. i just started a 24 hour urine test, and saw my gp, but i just wondered what the likelihood my kidneys are in trouble. i have had some random itching and lightheadedness- but after reading all the info on the internet, i could convince myself i have anything. are these levels really really high, or just kind of high? i am not a high risk patient in any way for kidney disease, except i am about 15 pounds overweight. if these levels are not indicative of impending doom i can rest more easy waiting for the results of the 24 hr test. thanks for responding!!
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 14 hours later
Hi there. Thank you for your extra clarification.

My feeling is that your kidneys will turn out to be fine. Low back pain is seldom if ever a symptom of renal disease. Random itching and lightheadness are again non specific and does not indicate renal disease.

Your dipstick urinalysis levels are "kind of" high but again, I would not put too much store in that. I would rather wait for 24 hour urine test report before commenting on the renal status.

Another way to access your renal function is via a blood test called a renal function test. But your GP will advise you on that. You will be fine.

Hope this helps. Do accept the answer if I have answered all your queries.

Andrew Rynne.