Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test showed acidic urine with pus cells. Have lower abdominal pain. Required treatment?

i have pus cells in my urine routine(around 8-10)
urine is acidic.(pH is 5), No burning sensation or no urgency in urine(2 times in night).
Uroflometry results are fine and verified by other urologist.
and also have recurrent XXXXXXX hemorroides(from colonoscopy). There is a bad pain in my left lower abdomen(recurrent). Taste is lost.
I have taken antibiotics several times for 4-5 weeks, the pain is relieved, but then reoccurs after some days.

Are both of them related ? What Should I do? Please help me.

NOTE: I am 66 year old male , patient of High Blood Pressure, high thyroid, and high Creatine(constant at 2.4).

Operation of appendix in 1992 and prostate in 2009.
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 36 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
I went through your history.
Pain at the part is either from the colon or the left ureter.
It can be ureteric stone and an ultrasound scan is the next line of approach.
If scan is normal, then we can consider causes other than urinary tract problem.
Since there are pus cells in the urine, it is better to get urine culture test done for infection in the urine, which if present needs antibiotics.
Hope this helps, kindly revert back for doubts if any,
Follow-up: Urine test showed acidic urine with pus cells. Have lower abdominal pain. Required treatment? 1 hour later
colonoscopy and ultrasound whole abdomen is also done. Colonoscopy results in telling that i have XXXXXXX hemmoroids..that gets treated but reoccur after some time..

After urine culture, doctors prescribe particular antibiotics which treats it..but the infection reoccurs after few days..(pus cells remained 2-3 after 4-5 weeks of antibiotics(niftran), even pus cells are there, but pain goes away).

These conditions reoccur after 30 days(again 15-20 pus cells, pain in abdomen, hemmoroids)..i am too much worried, please tell me any concrete solution or test..this is my second last follow up question..
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome back.
Recurrent UTI needs antibiotics for about 3 to 6 months.
Pus cells 2 to 3 is normal. Since it is 10 to 15, you need the above treatment.
If ultrasound scan does not show any urinary tract abnormality, then CT SCAN may be necessary to look for the cause of pain and recurrent UTI.
Hemorrhoids is a minor issue and usually does not cause abdominal pain.
In essence, antibiotics for 3 months to prevent recurrent infection and CT scan abdomen are needed.
Wish you good health,