Urine test showed TSH level, am pregnant. Will this affect my baby?

Question
What is TSH? Is it something related to Thyroid? Please explain
While I took urine test last week, It was mentioned in the report that my TSH level was 0.16. But it should be around 0.34- 5.6. I am 9 weeks pregnant. Will this affect my baby? Please let me know how to increase the TSH level
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 45 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

First of all congratulations to the mother to be.

TSH-means Thyroid Stimulating Hormone-which released from a gland in brain and it, regulates the function of thyroid gland in the body. This thyroid gland releases thyroid hormone which is very vital for most of the functions of the body. With or without pregnancy normal thyroid level in body is must.

I think there is some confusion; TSH can be measured only by blood test not by urine test. Please look in to this and write some more details what exactly you intent to ask.

Alternatively you can upload the report by upload report feature.

Please reply with details.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Urine test showed TSH level, am pregnant. Will this affect my baby? 1 hour later
Both my Blood and Urine tests were taken at that time. The TSH value was 0.16. But it should be around 0.34- 5.6. Will this affect my baby? Please let me know how to increase the TSH level also

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Your TSH level in on lower side, means you thyroid gland is over active and is producing more thyroid hormones.

As written earlier normal thyroid function is must during pregnancy for proper out come.

Kindly get in touch with endocrinologist and take his advice. He will ask for some other blood tests as per need and then will decide whether to give any medicines at present or not.

There is no way TSH can be increased or decreased without medicines, no diet, nothing can change TSH.

Without waiting please see a specialist.

Your doctor will guide you for this.

Wishing you all the best for the time to come.

Dr.Pragnesh