Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test showed Streptococcus milleri. What does this mean? Am pregnant

Hi, I have had a urine test which showed streptococcus milleri , what does this mean? I am 23 weeks pregnant?
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for he query.
Bacteria in the Streptococcus milleri group (S. anginosus, S. constellatus, and S. intermedius) are associated with bacteremia and abscess formation. While most reports of Streptococcus milleri group (SMG) infection occur in patients with underlying medical conditions, SMG infections during pregnancy have been documented. However, SMG infections in pregnant women are associated with either neonatal or maternal puerperal sepsis. Albeit rare, S. milleri spinal-epidural abscess in pregnancy has been reported, always as a complication of spinal-epidural anesthesia.Streptococcus milleri group (SMG) bacteria are associated with localized abscess formation, most notably in the liver and brain.

SMG organisms are commensals of the oral cavity and of the gastrointestinal tract. SMG organisms are notorious causes of pyogenic, invasive infections, and have been found in head and neck abscesses, bacteremia with endocarditis, liver abscess, thoracic empyema, brain abscess, and spinal epidural abscess.
 Patients with underlying medical conditions, such as cirrhosis, diabetes mellitus, and malignancies, are predisposed to invasive infections with Streptococcus milleri .
What you require is a proper antibiotic course in consultation with your doctor.
There is absolutely no reason for worry.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.