Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test, pain while urinating, no pain post urination. Causes ?

my 23mnth old baby had a urine test done and showed clear but when he wents to pass urine he is in pain after he releases the urine he is just fine what is this pain from
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Feeling pain while passing the urine might be due to more acidic nature of the urine.
To prevent this, give him more and more fluids per day.
Avoid acidic fruit juices like lime juice, orange juice, etc.
Plenty of cranberry juice will help in reducing the symptoms.
Examine the external genital area carefully for any injury and rashes.
If the symptoms do not improve you can get his ultrasound scan done to rule out any possibility of renal or ureteric calculus.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: Urine test, pain while urinating, no pain post urination. Causes ? 7 hours later
the pain is not while passing urine it is when he feels he wants to pass urine, it is at he urge that he feels the pain and once he releases he is ok
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

As told in my first reply keep hydrating him as sometimes simple dehydration can also has similar presentation. If this does not help then he needs to be investigated.

The feeling of pain on the urge to pass urine is more indicative of some stone in the urinary tract or spasm of the external sphincter uncommon in children though.

Careful examination by a surgeon will help in ruling out the injury part and an ultrasound scan might help in detecting a calculus if there is any.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.
Wish your son an early recovery.