Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test is positive for leukocytes. Meaning?

Hi In urine test I have positive for leukocytes with uwbc 15-20 and urbc 10-15 and slight bacteria protein trace and blood 2+ My Dr says that is natural when you age. I am 77 and a female. Is this true. I have no symp0toms.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do urinary nitrites and urine culture

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I would love to differ a bit from this opinion. Positive leukocytes with these level of proteins might deserve a formal exclusion of a urine culture and sensitivity tests. It is however true that for age, this is compatible. However, conclusive results are only drawn when the urine culture itself is alright. It could also ne reaasuring if an idea of the urinary nitrites were known. When nitrite levels are negative, this reduces the likelihood of a urinary tract infection.

I suggest you get urinary nitrite levels known through a urinalysis, a rapid test, if it is negative, it shall be reassuring that there might be no urinary tract infection. The ideal however is to get a urine culture done. thanks and kind regards. Wishing you good health.

Bain LE, MD