Urine test done for a baby. Found presence of epithelial cell and pus cell. Worrisome

Question
My daughter is 18 mnths old & her urine report shows 2-3/hpf Pus Cells & 3-4/HPF Epithelial Cells... Please help decipher this for me ...
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 6 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

As far as this report is concerned I reassure you to not to worry. It is a normal report.

What are the complaints which led to the investigation of your baby?
Is there any frequency of urination or crying while passing urine?
Is there any fever?
Does your baby accept feeds normally?

Are there any other investigations like urine culture and sensitivity / blood investigations done?

Do not worry about the report. It is normal.

Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
M.D.(Pediatrics)
Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Follow-up: Urine test done for a baby. Found presence of epithelial cell and pus cell. Worrisome 21 minutes later
Thanks for your assurance doc.
Yes she had extremely high fever 2 days back (103 degrees) & we wee advised to get the urine test done along with the culture test ...

We are also facing problems with her feeding as she dosen't want to take in any food at all & has been losing weight

Please do advise

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 3 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

Is she currently running fever? I could not understand from your reply if she is having fever currently or not.

I can answer regarding her feeding if I have her current status. Is she febrile or not. Is there yellow discoloration of eyes? Is there any pale colored stools? Are there any other associated complaints? Please write in detail so that I can answer you better.

Follow-up: Urine test done for a baby. Found presence of epithelial cell and pus cell. Worrisome 1 hour later
No she is currently not having fever.

We gave her Ibugesic & Crocin drops & it worked & she is back t her energetic self.

There is no discolouration of eyes or pale stool & no other associated complaints.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to me.

Do not worry about feeding in your baby particularly if she is active.
Kids in this age group have lot of feeding choices. Sometimes they may not consume anything at all and sometimes they refuse certain food items. When they refuse certain food items do not try and force feed them. This happens in every family. Do not do that. Say for example a baby does not want to have curd do not try and force feed curd saying that it is important. Stop it for a while. You may try that particular food item after some time may be after 15 days. If you try to force feed a baby feeding problems develop.

It is normal to not to accept or decrease the intake of food for few days. It is normally seen. The appetite improves soon. Do not worry if the baby is otherwise active.

What is the weight of the baby? This is important for me to state if the baby is having enough or not.

Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
M.D. (Pediatrics)
Associate Professor of Pediatrics