Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test done. What does the value mean? Should i be concerned about kidneys or liver?

I just got a urine test and it says there are numerous epithelial cells seen. What does that mean? It also says that my total protein is high and so is my albumin.. Should i be concerned about my kidneys or liver? My specific Gravity is High as well. There is Clue Cells present. What does this mean? do i need to go back to the Doctor
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I understand your worry.
I had a good look at all your reports.
1.     Urine analysis which shows the presence of RBC, WBC, EPI CELLS mean that u have urine culture test. U need appropriate antibiotics.
2.     Clue cells mean there is yeast infection in the vagina and u need a course of treatment.
3.     Specific gravity in only marginally high( possibly due to the trace albumin caused by the infection) and needs to be repeated after about a month.
4.     Trace albumin in urine can be present in urinary tract infection.
5.     Blood tests showing high white cell count mean that u are fighting against infection, urinary in your case.
6.     Total protein and albumin is only marginally high, which may mean just good health. It needs to be repeated in about a month to proceed further. It means that ur liver is producing enough albumin. Kidneys are not at fault in this issue. If protein is present in urine in large quantities, kidneys may be at fault.

Hope I answered your queries. Kindly get back for doubts if any.
Follow-up: Urine test done. What does the value mean? Should i be concerned about kidneys or liver? 1 hour later
I am just having bad kidney pains so I was wondering if my uti led into a kidney infection.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 7 hours later

It is quite possible.The bladder infection can ascend up.
Appropriate treatment will result in cure.
Kindly take medical help.
Get well soon,