Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test done. Swelling in urethra. Abdominal pain, foul smelling or blood in urine. Want correct picture of test.

Urologist
Question
I HAVE UNDERGONE A URINE TEST . THE RESULT IS AS FOLLOWS:
ALBUMIN : TRACE
COLOUR : YELLOW
APPEARINCE: TURBID
SUGAR : NIL
REACTION : ACEDIC
&
MICROSCOPIC:
PUS CELLS 1-2 /HPF
EPI CELLS 0-1 / HPF
RBC 1-2 /HPF
DIPOSITS : SEEN
CA+OXALATE : NIL
RFT : NORMAL
Culture : NORMAL
PATHOLOGY TEST - HB, TLC, NERUTROPHILS, LYMPHOCYTRS, MONOCYTES, EOSINOPHLIES, RBC, PCV, PLATELETS IS OK ( NORMAL )
ESR: NORMAL
E-XRA - NORMAL
Ultrasounds: NORMAL
(all the report is updated )
A HAVE FEELING SOME SWELLING IN URETHRITIES FROUNT ( 1.5 YEARS )
I have pain in lower abdomen ( 3 MONTHS ) and foul smelling or bloody urine ( 2 YEARS ) & some burning in my URETHR ( 2.5 YEARS )
PLEASE GIVE ME A CORRECT PICTURE OF THIS TEST AND ADVISE...
And suggest for medicine (antibiotic medicine treatments )& others.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

You have provided with very good details, I appreciate that. But to be able to help you better, I request you to provide a few additional details.

1. When you mentioned bloody urine, when was this - was the urine bloody at the end or beginning of urination.

3. Do you experience any sort of difficulty in voiding urine, i.e. is it slow.

4. Do you have any increase in frequency of voiding urine, and

5. Do you feel that some urine is left behind after you finish voiding?

6. Have you had any unprotected sexual exposure following which these symptoms started?

Based on the current provided information I can say this much, you might require a cystoscopy or urethroscopy along with a urine culture and sensitivity and either a CT scan of the Kidneys with ureters or an ultrasound scan of the kidneys, though the urine report you have uploaded seems to be reasonably good, (No major pathology as per urine report).

Looking forward to hearing from you with details.

Follow-up: Urine test done. Swelling in urethra. Abdominal pain, foul smelling or blood in urine. Want correct picture of test. 39 hours later
answer -
1) bloody urine - means bad smell(foul smelling) in my urine ( not blood in urine )
3) i have not experience any sort of difficulty in voiding urine, i.e. is it slow. ( but some burning in my URETHR ( any time )
and Swelling in my urethr.
5.) I don’t feel that some urine is left behind after finish voiding.
6) I think it may be any unprotected sexual exposure following which these symptoms started ( at the time of pre-gency )

Report of Investigation : USG : Abdomen as on 16/11/11

Liver - it is normal in size, shape & echo texture. No focal or diffuse lesion seen. Intrahepatic biliary radicles are not dilated. The portal vein is normal in course and calibre. The hedpatic vein appear normal.
Gall Bladder – it is well distended. Wall thickness is normal. No intraluminal calculus seen. No pericholecystic fluid seen.
C.B.D. is not dilated
Pancreas – it is normal in size, shape & echo texture. No focal lesion seen.
Pancreatic duct is not dilated.
Spleen - it is normal in size, shape & echo texture. No focal lesion seen.
Splenic vein is normal in diameter.
Abodominal cavity – no free fluid / lymphadenopathy is seen in abdomen.
Kidneys –
Right kidney – right kidney is normal in size, shape, position & echo texture. Corticomedullary differentiation is maintained. The cortical thickness is normal. No focal lesion or calculus seen. The pelvicalyceal system is not dilated.
Left kidney – left kidney is normal in size, shape, position & echo texture. Corticomedullary differentiation is maintained. The cortical thickness is normal. No focal lesion or calculus seen. The pelvicalyceal system is not dilated.
u.bladder – it is partiallydistended. However, it is normal in shape, size, position & echogenicity.
No focal lesion or calculus seen.
Prostate:I - it is normal in shape, size, position and echogenicity.
Impression : normal study

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 4 hours later
Thanks for reverting.
If you are predominantly worried about foul smelling urine, I suggest that you improve your water intake to over 4 litres per day. You should distribute it in such a way that you will be consuming a glass of water at least every hour. You should drink sufficient water so that you pass colourless urine. If you pass urine 7-8 times at least during 24hours, we will know that your intake is probably adequate. You should avoid medication like vitamin B-complex which also might cause smell in urine.
Though your urine sample does not show significant infection, you might benefit from a course of low dose night time antibiotic such as doxycycline which does not cause too many side-effects. Since this is a prescription drug, you should consult your physician and get yourself evaluated. You can continue the syrup as advised.
If you have a burning in the urethra, you can take some mild anti-spasmodic tablets.
I think you should be comfortable if you follow the above instructions.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Dr. Sasanka.

Follow-up: Urine test done. Swelling in urethra. Abdominal pain, foul smelling or blood in urine. Want correct picture of test. 2 hours later
R/ Dr. V.Sasanka,

if i have better physician, than no need to consult with you,

i want to ask you something -

1) i have pain both side of urither ? ( below the center point of abdomen ) why ? ( not in every time )
2) why i have feeling swelling in my UT line
3) why i have some burning in my urither line
foul smelling urine is not problem,

the problem is pain & burning

i need medicine, than u consult,

Thanks

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 19 hours later
If all your reports are suggestive of no major problem, but you continue to harbor symptoms of pain and burning, you might have to get a cystoscopy done. Cystoscopy is an endoscopic examination of your urinary passage, and should be able to tell if have any disease condition.

Further treatment will depend on cystoscopy findings.

Follow-up: Urine test done. Swelling in urethra. Abdominal pain, foul smelling or blood in urine. Want correct picture of test. 6 hours later
IF THERE IS NO MAJOR PROBLEM, THAN, WHY YOU ARE ASKING ME FOR Cystoscopy TEST.

AS PER MY MEDICAL REPORT OR AFTER MEDICAL TREATMENT ( MEDICINE ) LOT OF RELIEF IN PAIN, BUT I HAVE BURNING (TOP OF THE PENS - INSIDE ) & IN MY URITHER LINE.
SWELLING (TOP OF THE PENS - INSIDE ) & IN MY URITHER LINE.
I EVALUATE MYSELF, I KNOW THERE IS MINER INFECTION, BUT I WORRIED ABOUT BECAUSE THE TIME IS 2.5 YEARS.

I AM COMING YOU FOR BETTER TREATMENT ( SOLUTION ) , SO, PLEASE HELP ME, & GIVE ME BETTER SOLUTION. I SHALL BE THANKFUL TO U.

THANKS & REGARDS,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 11 hours later
Cystoscopy is done only when a patient has been continuing to have symptoms despite adequate medical treatment. As per your history, you have been suffering for over two and half years and all your reports have so far not contributed anything to suggest that you have a specific disease.

So it looks like it is time for an endoscopic examination of your urinary passage which will also assess any swelling in 'top of penis and in urethral line'. What you have mentioned regarding minor infection is most likely true - what you might be having is urethritis and ways to assess urethra are through a special X-ray called retrograde urethrogram (to be done when there is no active infection) and cystoscopy. If cystoscopy is normal, at least you need not be worried about having any major illness.