Urine strips showed leukocytes But UTI was negative. Had irritation in urine. Reason for leukocytes in strip?

I'm concerned that I have leukcytes in my uring when using a test strip even though I just got off cipro. I went to the urologist last week and found that I did not have UTI yet my test strip comes back with relatively high leukocytes levels. I have had periods of irritation in my urine over the past 3 years. I must confess I've also had high engagement in auto stimulation and sexual partners although always with a condom. I just want to be healthy again and not have any issues. I'm juicing , eating very healthy, eating parsely, radish, and other greens that support health bladder and urine.. sometimes I wonder if I hurt my urethra due to my history. I'm currently in a monomgomas relationship and this is affecting my love life. Please help :)
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

If a urine and semen sample has been sent for the lab and infection has been ruled out then your doctor would need to look for other causes leukocytes in the urine.

The other causes of leukocytes in the on urine analysis are : (1) false positive results , this can occur as a result of (a) some medications, (b)sexually transmitted infection trichomonas but this would have shown up on semen analysis and (c )lysed granulocytes which is broken down white blood cells (d) eosinophils in the urine which can occur in some inflammatory conditions of the kidney

(2) physical trauma to the urinary tract from surgery, stones

(3) inflammation of the kidneys for example in a condition called
glomerulonephrtits which is inflammation of the glomerulus of the kidneys that can occur under different settings

If your kidney function is normal and not suggestive of any inflammation of the kidneys along with the normal urine and semen samples then your doctor may consider whether there is any indications of a previous renal stones or the positive reaction represents broken down white blood cells..

You may want to repeat the dipstick in a few days to see if it improves , if this is not the case then the tests suggested (checking renal function and possible ultrasound) may be necessary.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions