Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine stream shifted to right. Any idea what could be the problem?

General Surgeon
Hi, I'm a 41 year old male, good health, non smoker/drinker. 5'10", 150lbs. About a year ago my urine stream suddenly shifted to the right- especially if I get up in the middle of the night to urinate and am erect or partially erect. The stream is at about the 2 o'clock position. Since the first night it happened it has been consistant. I have no pain, cant feel anything inside, and as far as I can tell, I ejaculate straight. Any idea what the problem could be?
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

As the urine stream depends of the prostate condition such symptom can be caused due to some prostate regrowth. Prostate is a gland which enfolds urethra some enlargement of this gland will cause urine flow changes. But mostly it does cause decreased volume of the urine flow and should not cause direction change (but it is possible).
More probable reason of such symptom may be inflammatory changes at the urethra end.But this should appear after some urethra inflammation.
External penis inflammation could also cause flow direction change.
But if you do not suffer from any other symptoms like burning when urinating, frequent urinating, inability of urinating such symptom is not significant and do not mean anything at all.
If you do have erected penis directed to the same side, maybe this is the reason of such urine direction.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: Urine stream shifted to right. Any idea what could be the problem? 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply Dr Stanko! No, my penis is not pointed in that direction and until a year or so ago, never urinated sideways when erect. When flacid my stream is usually straight to ever so slightly to the right. If it were'nt for the erect urination problem I would never have noticed it flacid. I don't have any problems starting or stopping, no burning or inability to urinate, urgent or frequent urination, my flow is strong when flacid, not as strong when erect by I suspect that may be normal. I haven't noticed any inflamation or have reason to suspect something causing inflamation- especially for this period of time. I had a routine prostate exam about 3 years ago- maybe I should have another just to be safe?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later

So it looks like there is nothing to be concern about. It is quiet common that during the erection peeing gets harder as when erection appears, urethra gets ready for ejaculation, not for urine.
Prostate exam is a good idea, just to make sure, as most probably this is nothing to worry about.