Urine smells like yeast. Used boiling water with enfamil. Is that the right way? Worry?

my granddaughter's urine smells like yeast. She is 6 weeks old and formula fed. I haven't smelled this before. It started in the last 24 hours. I used boiling water with the Enfamil then put it in the fridge. When it was cool she had it. I was told to use boiling water but now see in the small print on the box not to use hot water and then let it cool. she has had normal urination and a bowel movement but now I am worried. what should I do?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 17 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

By 'smelling like yeast' I think you mean a XXXXXXX smell-right? Well, you also feel the formula was refrigerated and this has led to the peculiar smell to the urine. But how about the stools, do they smell ok? I do not think there can be a long-term effect of the mistake you made.

If yeast growth were to occur, it would first affect the mouth as it usually does in infants. Also the effects would definitely be more on the stomach and stools than on the urine. I think you should stop worrying, but if the problem persists, do get a urine examination done and consult her pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Urine smells like yeast. Used boiling water with enfamil. Is that the right way? Worry? 14 minutes later
The bowel movement she had earlier smelled normal. I am just worried that heating the Enfamil may have caused bacteria to grow. What would be the signs of her having a bacterial infection?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 9 minutes later

She would first have vomiting and diarrhea, and since that has not happened, I think you can stop worrying.