Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine smells like stools. Is it a problem?

May 2013
pee smelling poopi am 12 weeks & 3 days, and for the last two months my pee has been smelling like poop, what's wrong with me?
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 53 minutes later
thanks for the query.

The causes of altered smell of the urine in pregnancy are,

-dehydration due to inadequate water intake can lead to non diluted urine giving smell, in pregnancy as need increases more water to be taken.

-dietary changes, taking asparagus, onions, carbonated drinks, coffee etc.

-taking supplements like iron, calcium, vitamins etc.

-presence of urinary tract infection: in this case associated symptoms like burning micturition, frequency of micturition etc may be present.

-associated vaginal discharge and infection can present as foul smelling urine.

-in women having gestational diabetes also altered smelling urine can be seen because of presence of glucose.

So with your doctor's advice you better go for urine analysis, culture and sensitivity to find out the possible cause.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.
Follow-up: Urine smells like stools. Is it a problem? 24 hours later
okay, so will this affect my baby in anyway?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 hours later

-if the smell is due to food or supplements etc it will not affect the baby much but,
but if it is because of sometimes that can lead to uterine action which may cause miscarriage.

-in case of gestational diabetes chances of macrosomia, increased chance of operative deliveries etc can be seen.

but don't worry these are rare possibilities only.
you consult gynecologist once, get examined and undergo urine examination as I told which will find out the cause and treatment can be taken according to that.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.