Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine smells like hot dog water. Done with tests for protein. What could it be?

General Surgeon
My urine smells like hot dog water . I have had tests for protein in my urine before... Is this why it is happening now?
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may be UTI

Detailed Answer:
The smell of the urine is not due to tests.
It depends on the food and liquids you take.
If the smell is same irrespective of the intake,then you have send your urine for culture and sensitivity,albumin,microscopy,deposits.
Pending reports,i will give Norfloxacin tablet and Citralka syrup to my patient with similar complaints.
If you come back with Reports,i will clarify further.
Follow-up: Urine smells like hot dog water. Done with tests for protein. What could it be? 25 hours later
Let me rephrase my question... I KNOW I do not have a UTI or any infection, so what exactly would cause my urine to literally smell like hot dog water, or meat? It has a salty , meaty smell that is very strong. It will come back periodically. I have searched high and low for an answer. Many women experience this and don't know what is wrong
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is related to the food you take

Detailed Answer:
Smell can be due to dehydration,prolonged bed rest,some pencillin group of drugs,aspargus intake etc.
Please drink plenty of water daily and observe.
Hope it will come down