Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine leakage at microsurgery site, had appendix surgery. Normal?

Question
My wife had a surgery for appendix. Doctor said everything was fine. He said she could be discharged after one day. She had micro surgery operation. But on the next day when she went to toilet, she saw urine was getting out from the place where she had micro surgery. There are three place in her belly where micro surgery was happened. She is not hospital still now She has not discharged from there. Urine was getting out from those three holes where micro surgery was happened. Could you please tell me is this a normal thing or it is a critical problem? Please tell me what do I have to do? 91-0000 YYYY@YYYY .

Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 16 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the query
The surgery performed for appendix is a limited procedure. And after surgery there is no discharge from the wound. There may a serous discharge initially but later it dissappears. If there is any discharge make sure it is serous dicharge or something else but if it is urine as you stated then you have to worry about it. The appendix lies in the peritonial cavity and if urine comes in.that cavity it causes perotinitis which is a seious condition. Hiwever it is a verh rare complication.
The best option is to.discuss the whole problem with the surgon who had performed the surgery. An ultrasound of abdomen will also be helpful to ruleout any serious complucation
Feel free for further queries
Thanks

Follow-up: Urine leakage at microsurgery site, had appendix surgery. Normal? 4 minutes later
she has no urine problem now. Is this serious?
Follow-up: Urine leakage at microsurgery site, had appendix surgery. Normal? 2 minutes later
She does not have any pain or any problem with her stomach. But can you tell me why urine was getting out from her surgery place?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 6 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the reply
If she is not having any problem then its not urine. Its a serous fluid that normally ozes from wounds which have urine like consistency but its not urine therefore it is not serious problem. She is under postoperative care therefore you dont have to worry.
Feel free for.further queries
Thanks

Follow-up: Urine leakage at microsurgery site, had appendix surgery. Normal? 15 minutes later
When she had that problem, after that doctor done some call cathrine or I do not know. I was told by my wife that doctor took out entire amount of water which was getting out from surgery. Doctor gave hand pressured on that same surgery place and took out entire amount of water. After that she has no problem. And when water was getting out it was a huge amount of water. After they did that it was stopped. So was that water or urine?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 11 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the reply
It was not urine. Its the peritoneal fluid that normally releases in the peritoneal cavity in response to different mechanisms. So that ozing fluid was drained by applying pressure. Now she will be alright and hope she donot have this problem again.
Thanks

Follow-up: Urine leakage at microsurgery site, had appendix surgery. Normal? 8 minutes later
She has no problem now. But when I asked to doctor, he could not recognize why it was happening? So he did cathrie. So it is normal thing right? Because the amount of water was so much.

Hi
Yes this is.normal peritoneal fluid which was released in reponse to inflammation. It may be sometimes upto 400-500ml in some patients. But its always serous means it cannot cause any infection and is harmless. But for your satisfaction you can send that fluid for cytology
Thanks