Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine leakage after urination unable to control. Low PSA, kidney stone, normal BP. What could be the treatment?

I am 57 year old male,5 9 and a half in height nearly 14 stone with very low Psa and blood pressure 120/80. Sometimes on sencing the urge to urinate I am unable to hold it for more than a few minutes or i will start to leak. When feelin cold I often get a sudden urge to go. Also I leak a little somtimes in my sleep or immediatly after urinating.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later
Hi there.

Thank you for your question.

Your urgency and mild incontinence is almost certainly coming from a condition of your prostate called benign prostate hypertrophy or BPH for short. This age related condition can also give rise to some urinary retention which in turn can give rise to doctor. There are medicines that you can take to relax the prostate gland and relieve a lot of your symptoms. These medicines should be your first line of treatment and they work very well.

Whether you will need surgery (TURP) at a later date is debatable. It is certainly something you need not rush into.

Thanks and good luck.

Andrew Rynne. MD