Urine in continence pads smell salty. Due to anti acid reflux, lipitor and xanax?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
the urine in my continence pads smell salty. can that be from meds? (anti acid reflux; lipitor; xanax). Urine is normal colored
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later

Salty urine can be due to high amount of salt or acids excretion in urine due to increased salt intake or less water intake, or a renal disorder or drugs affecting renal excretion mechanisms.

Since your urine doesn't appear concentrated I assume you have adequate water intake and no prior renal pathology.

Amongst the medications mentioned, Lipitor i.e. atorvastatin does increase the renal uric acid excretion i.e. has uricosuric action which might be a possible cause of your symptom.

However it is not significant enough to stop medication if you maintain good water intake and pass about 2 liters of urine in a day.

If accompanied with dehydration, there is a possibility of future development of uric acid kidney stones.

But nothing can be conclusively said without confirming this fact through complete urine examination and renal function tests.

I would advise you to consult your physician for confirming the same and further management if needed.

If the tests are normal then nothing needs to be done.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.