Urine have red blood and bleeding increased. Suggestion?

my wife's urine and pull ups contain bright red blood. The bleeding seems to be increasing. Our doctor says it is not a fistula and I agree but he has not said what he thinks it might be. An ultrasound for the bladder and kidneys has been performed but the results are not in. My wife is 83 years old and this is the first time for such symptoms. She has not had a hysterectomy or other surgery.

Where is the blood coming from and how quickly must it be stopped? Thank you
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need further evaluation

Detailed Answer:
First we need to see whether the blood is from urine or from uterus/vagina because the causes are entirely different. It should be evident on clinical examination. If not, then an urine microscopy will be enough. If it is from the urine, we need to rule out urinary infections, stones in bladder or cancer of the urinary tract. If it is from the uterus or vagina, again cancers of the female genital tract are the top possibilities. For these also, clinical examination supplemented by CT/MRI and biopsies from suspicious areas are required.
I am afraid these should proceed quickly so as to avoid any delays in appropriate treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any further followup queries.