Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine has had musty almost like burning rubber and medicine smell. No burning and pain. Cause?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Yes...just recently my urine has had a musty almost like burning rubber or mediciney smell... no burning or pain associated just weird urine smell
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 49 minutes later
Hi ancd welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for the query.
There are many factors which can cause urine to smell and this is nothing serious. Most commonly this is caused by uroinfection or vaginal infection and you dont need to have some urinary symptom. Also, many food and drinks such as asparagus, popcorn, garlic and fish can cause it. If there is dark urine then some liver and gallbladder problems must be considered.
So if this persist for few more days I suggest to do basic urine analysis just to rule out uroinfection. Wish you good health.Regards