Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine cytology showing positive benign squamous epithelial cells and urothelial cells. What does this mean?

Question
I had urine cytology that reported negative malignant cells, positive for benign squamous epithelial cells and urothelial cells
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Jagdish 7 minutes later
Hi

urinary bladder has inner lining with stratified squamous and transitional epithelium. The cytology detected normal cells of the inner lining. So there is no cancer. Findings are normal.

However, I would like to know why the cytology is done? Do you have blood in urine? Was the cystoscopy advised by your doctor?

Dr. Jagdish

Follow-up: Urine cytology showing positive benign squamous epithelial cells and urothelial cells. What does this mean? 10 minutes later
yes there was blood in urine once

Answered by Dr. Jagdish 8 minutes later

You answered only one question but I need answers for others also. A mention about your age and duration of the problem helps me better.

Single time blood in the urine with no abnormal urine cytology is not to worry about.

Keep a watch on color of the urine, pain while urination.

Hope it helps.

Dr. Jagdish