Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine cytology report shows negative for malignant cells but bacteria present. What does this mean?

Had a gross hematuria, with no pain. Urine cytology report shows negative for malignant cells, but mixed cell population of urothelium and squamous epithelium;bacteria present. Sonagram shows kidney stones in left kidney and a 16mm angiomyoliopoma in right kidney as well as a right inferior pelvic calcification consistenet with philobeth. What does this mean???
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 39 minutes later
Good day and thank you for being with healthcare magic!

Gross hematuria would be caused by infection and kidney stones since cytology showed negative for malignant cells. If hematuria recurs I would suggest either doing a CTSCAN or. a cystoscopy to rule further exclude the possibility of cancer.

Kidney stones depending on the size would warrant treatment for removal to prevent further increase in size, may harbour bacteria and infection and can cause blood in the urine. Angiomyolipoma 1.6 cm is very small and would not cause any clinical problems. Just observe with yearly ultrasound.

Phleboliths are calcifications in the blood vessels and not cause problems also. Do not mind this finding.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: WWW.WWWW.WW I would gladly help you. Best wishes.