Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine culture showed moderate gram positive bacilli and few epithelial cells. What does that mean?

Question
urine culture shows moderate gram positive bacilli and a few epithelial cells. What does that mean ?
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 3 hours later

The report suggests you have urinary tract infection with gram positive bacilli.
Now I am extremely sorry to say you that the report you produce is incomplete .As moderately sensitive means the bacilli are resistant to some of the antibiotics, moderately sensitive to some antibiotics and highly sensitive to some antibiotics. This thing is clearly mentioned in urine culture report and they are very important to choosing proper .antibiotics to get response.
So please attach your whole urine culture report as soon as possible so I can help you more.

At this stage, I would suggest the following:

a. Drink plenty of water
b. Have a cup of cranberry juice daily
c. Take Syrup citralka 1-2 tablespoon full, twice or thrice daily.

Consult with your physician with urine culture report so he can give proper antibiotics.
Waiting for your report.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly

Follow-up: Urine culture showed moderate gram positive bacilli and few epithelial cells. What does that mean? 19 hours later

Thanks Doctor,
Only this is mentioned in the report.

And under Organism isolated: It says "No pathogens isolated in culture.

Regarding cranberry juice, is it ok to drink the Real/Tropicana juices ?

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 43 minutes later

Really this is absolutely wrong way to write culture sensitivity report.
Would you mind to do a urine culture sensitivity test again in any reputed laboratory so we can rely on the report and give our opinion more easily.
Any juice would do, but since they are not 100% juice, you can take about 2 cups daily
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review for me.

.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly