Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine culture showed infection. Took medicine. Getting constant pain in stomach. Any suggestion?

4 weeks back I was detected with infection by a urine culture. At that time I used to have some pain in lower abdomen. After the anitbiogram was done, I did a 6 days course of levofloxain, and then later on I did 10 days course Of Cefixime. Its been 3 days now that I have stopped Cefixime. The pain in my stomach is now constant. Its always there. earlier it used to be few times in a day. I am starting to worry about it. I'll have a urine culture done on Monday again. But, I am feeling really worried. What can be the problem. Why I am having this constant mild pain in the stomach. The pain is worst while defecating in the morning. Its a constant pain below the Naval region.
Please suggest.
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for the query.Millions of men develop urinary tract infections each year. Even though such infections in men are less common than in women, it is still important to recognize the symptoms and get treatment quickly. Infections of the urinary system (the kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra) can be very serious.
Your persistent pain abdomen demands a thorough examination of to look for the cause of pain abdomen associated with UTI.

Urine is normally sterile, but under certain circumstances, bacteria (often E-coli that live in the colon) can move into the urethra, causing an infection called urethritis. The infection may move up the system to the bladder (called cystitis) or to the kidneys (pyelonephritis).

Men with abnormalities of the urinary tract, such as kidney stones or an enlarged prostate, are more prone to urinary infection.

Men with diabetes or any disease that suppresses the immune system are more prone to UTI.
What you require is an ultrasound abdomen KUB followed by CT abdomen.
There are plenty of chances that you may be having stone in kidneys.
Till the diagnosis is made,you can take antispasmodic medicines for pain abdomen.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.