Urine culture report showed pus cell and bacilli in it. Serious?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
I did a urine culture test and below are my results, please can you interpret and let me know what it says

Specimen Type : URINE AEROBIC
Direct Smear : Few Pus Cells
Grams Stain: Few grampositive bacilli seen
Isolation 1: No Growth in culture
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly view the details

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

The presence of pus cells & bacteria (gram positive bacilli), as observed under microscope is suggestive of growth seen in culture media.

In your post, you have not mentioned about any symptoms like fever, pain in lower abdomen or burning sensation during urination, etc. & history of systemic diseases like Diabetes or any history of sexual contact, which makes an individual prone to infections of Uro-genital tract.
In absence of any symptoms, the diagnosis of Urinary tract infection can not be made on the basis of Urine analysis report only.
Moreover, for the diagnosis of Urinary tract infection in asymptomatic individuals, there should be presence of more than 0000 organisms/ml of urine. The report does not say so.

If possible, kindly attach the urine examination report with your post.
It will help us in understanding your concern better & formulate an appropriate management plan.

Wishing you a good health.

Follow-up: Urine culture report showed pus cell and bacilli in it. Serious? 26 minutes later

There are no symptoms of fever, pain in lower abdomen or burning sensation during urination, etc. Also i am not diabetic or don't have any history of sexual contact causing infections. This is a general check up carried out and the reports says only the below details

Specimen Type : URINE AEROBIC
Direct Smear : Few Pus Cells
Isolation 1: No Growth in culture

Attached the report as well

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly view the details

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up query.

I have gone through the case history and the investigation report as attached to your post.

In the absence of any symptoms & absence of growth in the culture, the presence of few pus cells and bacteria cannot be considered of any significance.
So, an infection of urinary tract can be ruled out.
There is no need to worry, you are fine.

Wishing you a Healthy life.
If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.
I will be happy to answer them.