Urine color brown, on amoxicillin after being diagnosed by strep throat. Normal?

My husband has been on amoxcilian for a day, diagnosed with Strep Throat. He told me that his urine is so cloudy you can't see through it and the color is very close to brown. Is this normal during Strep recovery?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Based on your description, I think what your husband might be having is hematuria or blood in urine.

It can be due to two reasons. These include:

1) Post streptococcal glomerulonephritis which is common after strep sore throat. It is characterized by decreased urine output and rust colored urine. Sometimes there can be visible blood in urine imparting a brown color to it. He needs to get an urgent urine examination, Anti-DNase B test and serum ASO titres and complement levels.

2) Second possibility is a side effect of the drug Amoxicillin which may cause crystalluria or hematuria due to interstitial nephritis. In such a case, the drug needs to be changed to some other antibiotic.

In both cases, your husband needs an immediate evaluation by his physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wish you good health.