Urine and motion slightly red, loose bowel movement, mild stomach pain. What is causing this?

urine and motion is slightly red in colour for past two days what possible reasons
loose bowel movements for past one month accompanied with mild stomach
pain on and off
right now dull pain only in the lower portion of abdomen
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Loose stools for last one month with lower abdomen pain associated with red discoloration might be due to -
1.     Crohn's Disease or ulcerative colitis- These are autoimmune gut disorders. This causes sores in your intestines, stomach, and/or throat which causes blood and mucus in the stool.
2.     Infectious diarrhea which may develop after eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water or unpasteurized milk. A routine blood, stool, urine tests and stool culture may find the infection causing diarrhea.
3.     Irritable bowel syndrome- IBS can be helped by eating a proper diet and taking medications.
Other causes include- Lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity, intestinal polyp or gastritis.

However, a reddish discoloration of the urine can be due to other causes. Since I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a.     Do you have any other symptoms like burning or pain while urination or increased frequency?
b.     Do you have any fever, joint pain or any other symptoms?

Please visit your primary care physician so that an evaluation can be done and appropriate investigations can be done. Treatment can be started only once we definitively know what we are dealing with.
Till then, I would suggest the following:
a.     For temporary relief, start eating low fiber (no more then 2 grams), and a low resin diet with plenty of fluids orally. That means that you should avoid nuts, popcorn, anything with seeds, or caffeine.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.