Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine analysis showed urine ketones: trace h. Having upper abdominal pain. Concerned?

General Surgeon
Hi.... My urine test from yesterday came back with Urine Ketones: Trace H. Everything else seems to be in the normal ranges.
I have had pain in my upper left abdomen and into my lower back for months that has remained undiagnosed. All tests including x-rays and ultrasounds have come back normal. Should I be concerned with the result from yesterday's test?
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Ketones in urine means that you have not bee eating for a while before the test. It is only a trace, so this does not mean anything.
Upper left abdomen can be caused by diverticulitis, urine tract stones or infection, peptic ulcers or even spine diseases.
Diverticulitis is strictly associated with constipations. Urine tract stones do cause sudden strong pain radiating from the back to the lower abdomen and groin. Urine tests can be normal, usually erythrocytes are present in the urine.
Spine diseases cause pain in the back which aggravates after lifting or standing for a long time.
It is advisable for you to have colonoscopy performed especially if you have had constipations, blood or mucus in stool or lost some weight recently.
If you do suffer from acid reflux or chest burning, upper GI endoscopy should be performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.