Urine analysis showed leukocytes. Can it harm a diabetic type 2 patient?

I am diabetic type ll and had leu of 100 in urine analysis, what could this mean?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 29 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

You are referring to leukocytes which are sometimes found in the urine. Leukocytes are the same thing as white blood cells. White blood cells as you may know are the defense system of the body against infection.

Occasionally a small number of these cells can be found in the urine. Sometimes however a significant elevation in this type of cell in the hearing can reflect a situation of a symptoms which are suspicious for a urinary infection, it is important to bring that to the attention of your urinalysis.

In addition, there may be a mild elevation of this type of blood cell in the urine if there is some type of inflammation going on with the bladder. Again you would probably have some type of symptoms of pelvic pain or discomfort in that type of situation.

Again, I hope I have provided you with some good information. I am not very worried that this represents any type of disease process which is not treatable by your primary care physician. I hope you understand the degree of reassurance I am providing here.

I hope this has been a helpful experience for you. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert