Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine analysis done. What does the report suggest?

General Surgeon
My urinalysis reveleased occult blood trace, leukocyte esterase 2+, WBC 10-20, bacteria few. This was a repeat after being on cipro for a week. I seem to always have an infection with no symptoms at all. I am 52 yr. old female.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 26 minutes later

We could be looking at a situation where the infecting bacterium is resistant to ciprofloxacin. The only way to know which drugs it is susceptible to is to do a urine culture and sensitivity. As of now, I would recommend you to stop all antibiotics for atleast 3 days and then get a urine culture and sensitivity and kidney function tests ( including a blood urea and serum creatinine) done.
Also, drink lots of liquids and use the bathroom frequently. A cup of cranberry juice daily will also help.

I would like to know if a urine culture has been done previously? Also, since you said you have no symptoms, why did you get urinalysis done?

Awaiting your reply

Dr. Rajat Gupta
Follow-up: Urine analysis done. What does the report suggest? 1 hour later
Part of a routine physical. I never had a urine culture done.
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 44 minutes later

Its ok. Now you should stop antibiotics and get a urine culture and sensitivity test done after 3 days. Also get kidney function tests done at the same time.

Do let me know about the reports.

And do not worry, you will be fine.

Dr. Rajat Gupta