Ask a Urologist   »  

Urinating frequently at night, have enlarged prostate, taking Alfuzosin. Laser based surgery good?

Question
Hello : I am 63 year old male Indian origin ; I end up going to urinate at night three times on average;I have an enlarged prostate for which I take a pill called Alfuzosin XXXXXXX ER 10 mg tablet :once a day. been told that i can get a laserbased outpatient surgery to make things lot better .any ideas ?
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 4 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

If you are not getting sufficient relief with Alfuzosin tablet, surgery is required.

Laser based surgery have some advantages over conventional Trans urethral prostatic resection (TURP).

In laser based surgery, there is no blood loss. It requires shorter stay in hospital.

It is a better option for cardiac patients and patients suffering with renal dysfunction, hypertension, diabetes and high risk group for anesthesia.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma

Follow-up: Urinating frequently at night, have enlarged prostate, taking Alfuzosin. Laser based surgery good? 11 hours later
I have been told that even after surgery to reduce size of prostate - in a few years , the prostate will grow back again to a larger size and i will need another surgery and so on . in other words , one surgery will never be enough. If that is so, what is the point of surgery - i have to keep going back for more surgery every say five to ten years ?

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 3 hours later

Welcome again,

In conventional TURP surgery only part of prostate is removed, thus remaining part of prostate can enlarge in due course of time and can again cause you trouble. More part can be removed easily by laser surgery, thus if prostate is more than 60 gms, laser surgery is recommended. Removal of major part may create other problems like urinary incontinence, therefore some part of prostate is generally left.

In my opinion if you will continue Alfuzosin after surgery also, remaining part of prostate will grow very slowly, and you will be able to avoid surgery for long time.

As present you can avoid surgery till it is not causing much inconvenience, but when it becomes inconvenient, you should not avoid surgery. At least you will be able to lead a healthier life till it becomes again enlarged to cause inconvenience.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma