Ask a Urologist   »  

Urinating blood following fall from ladder. Cured of cancer. What could it be?

Jul 2016

Hi, I have a friend who is in his 70's. He fell off a ladder several days ago, now he is urinating bright red blood. I am worried he has XXXXXXX bleeding. He has a doctors appointment tomorrow afternoon and he doesn't seem concerned about it. Should I tell him to go to emergency room? He previously had cancer and think's it may have to something to do with that. However, his treatments were over almost six months ago.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 25 minutes later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your friend has cancer of the bladder which was treated successfully and is confirmed by normal serum PSA levels.

He is bleeding per urethra following fall from ladder.

Looking at the recent history of fall it is most likely that he has sustained XXXXXXX injury to his bladder or urethra which needs to be investigated.

Please convince him to attend emergency room and get following investigations done to find out the source of bleeding.
1) Plain X-Ray of the abdomen to rule out fracture of the pelvic Bones.
2) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen to rule out injury to kidney or Bladder.

Hope, I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.