Ask a Urologist   »  

Urinary tube damaged. Some part of urine goes up into left buttock. How to overcome this problem?

When I was 10 years old, I had a bike that was far too big for me. As a result, I banged my underside repeatedly and damaged my urinary tube. Now. part of the urine goes into my left buttock which causes problems. I want this fixed. It seems to me it can be fixed with possibly microsurgery. Can you give me an idea of what this would intail and who would do this ? XXXX XXXX YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Initial diversion of urine and imaging is required

Detailed Answer:
If you indeed have some part of urine that goes up into the left buttock, it could be a major problem.
One way of confirming if this can be resolved would be by diversion of urine for a period of 2-3 months following which an imaging study of the urinary passage can be done. This is done by means of a special x-ray called retrograde urethrogram often combined with another study called voiding cysto-urethrogram.
Once the anatomy is well defined, we can take a call on how best to approach this issue.
There are several mechanisms available to ensure you void freely, but at 87 years of age these should be performed only after ensuring that you are indeed having good health to benefit from such major surgical undertakings.
One of the best reconstructive surgeons in USA is Dr JackMcAninch in UCSF, but I am sure you will find several capable urologists near your area who specialize in urethral reconstruction.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Follow-up: Urinary tube damaged. Some part of urine goes up into left buttock. How to overcome this problem? 57 minutes later
what is diversion of urine and reconstructive surgery
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Repair of urine tube

Detailed Answer:
It will be important to ensure that the exact anatomy of the urine tube is delineated. For this, we prefer to let the urine pas out through a tube placed below umbilicus for a few days as a temporary measure. 3-6 weeks later, the special x-rays that I mentioned are performed.
Once the pathology is identified, the urologists will be able to repair the tube. It could be a major undertaking and therefore I suggest you consult someone who has experience in these matters. For example, among urologists are people who chose different sub-specialties - some deal with children (pediatric urologists) while some deal with repairing damaged tubes - these are reconstructive urologists. You need to consult the latter for best results and correct advice.