Ask a Urologist   »  

Urinary tract infection. Taking cipro for one week. WBC and HPF in urine sample. Mild or severe infection ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My VA PA says I have a huge urinary tract infection with WBC/HPF 30-40. There have been no symptoms. This must be a mild case. He is putting me on cipro for a week. Does it sound "huge" to you or just a mild infection?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

Having 30-40 WBCs/HPF in the urine sample indicates a moderate infection in your urine.

Taking oral antibiotics like ciprofloxacin for a week will resolve the infection.

You can help reduce the discomfort by taking the following steps:

1. Follow your health-care provider's treatment recommendations.
2. Finish all antibiotic medication even if you are feeling better before the medication is over.
4. Drink plenty of water and fresh cranberry juice.
5. Avoid coffee, alcohol, and spicy foods, all of which irritate the bladder.
6. Quit smoking. Smoking irritates the bladder.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.