Urinalysis showed presence of blood, protein and wbc. Taking cipro and tested negative. Prognosis?

Jul 2016

After a positive urinalysis with blood, protein and WC present, my doctor sent a culture to the lab and in the meantime prescribed 500mg daily of Cipro for 7 days. The culture came back sterile yet my at home test strips indicated leukocytes present. The dr. had also taken a blood work-up and my platelets were a bit low. I returned for another urina;ysis the same day my home testing showed positive and the doctor's test was negative. I'm a bit confused.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted, your urine analysis shows W.B.C. in urine and urine culture is negative. The two commonest causes of presence of W.B.C in urine is
1) Inflammation of the Urinary tract *(Bladder, Kidney and, Ureter).
2) Infection of the Bladder and Kidneys.
Since your repeated analysis shows presence of W.B.C. with negative urine culture. It is most likely to be due to sub clinical Inflammation (Not infection) of a Bladder Mucosa. (Due to invasion of organisms in perineum area and Vagina) which is very common in women.
In absence of any symptoms, no treatment is advised except consuming plenty of water to keep your urine alkaline. So do not worry as long as you do not have any severe symptoms of UTI.
Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask, if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Urinalysis showed presence of blood, protein and wbc. Taking cipro and tested negative. Prognosis? 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor for your prompt response. I feel more at east now.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 12 minutes later
Thanks for your follow up and compliments.

Please write a review and rate the answer, if you have time.

Good Luck
With Regards.