Ask a Urologist   »  

Urinalysis showed high uwbc and urbc count. On omnicef for a sinus infection. Concerned?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I just got the results of my urinalysis. The "uwbc" count was greater than 100 and the "urbc" count was 50-100. The doctor put me on omnicef for a sinus infection but never mentioned a UTI. What does urbc and uwbc mean and should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thanks for your query. I understand your concerns. Following is my reply:

1) UWBC means Urine White Blood Cells. White blood cells in urine are indicative of UTI. Especially if they are more than 100 per high power field (hpf). Hence, it needs to be treated with antibiotics. Omnicef is an antibiotic, which also might help in treating this. Hence, continue the tablets.

2) URBC means Urine Red Blood Cells. RBC is nothing but suggests there is some mild bleeding in your urinary tract. It could be due to some mild trauma, infection or calculi (stone) in urinary system. However, as long as you have no problem, don’t worry about it.

3) I suggest you complete the course of omnicef your doctor has given you. Then repeat the urine analysis after 15 days from another standard laboratory. If still WBC exists, you get urine culture and sensitivity done which suggests sensitivity to best antibiotic.

4) If RBC again appears in urine after 15 days, please get an ultrasound to rule out calculi, which are a common cause.

I hope I answered your query.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol